Following hugely successful events in 2016, 2017 and 2018 we are once again at beautiful Box Hill, Surrey for an amazing, affordable five-day fully residential Songwriting and Studio Recording experience – and a hands-on practical guide to arranging, recording and mixing your own songs.
Here is a one minute video guide to the week:
The Camp includes:
– Comprehensive Songcraft Presentations
– Collaborative and Solo Writing Briefs
– Introduction to Arranging, Recording and Mixing
– Professional Studio Recording (Control Room and 2 Live Rooms)
– Producer/Engineer available for Studio Recording of collaborative tracks
– Session Guitar/Bass/Keys available for Studio Recording of collaborative tracks
– Individual Logic Pro Digital Audio Workstation access throughout the Camp
– Practice Rooms with pianos
– individual Songcraft Mentoring
– Evening playbacks/open mics and final Song Showcase in Grade II listed room
– Experienced Facilitation
– Single Room Accommodation
– 3 Fully Catered Meals per day
– Transfers to/from local station
London Songwriters Summer Camp – 26th-30th August 2019
The London Songwriters Summer Camp runs from 11am Monday 26th to 4pm Friday 30th August 2019 and will feature a range of solo and collaborative writing briefs designed to illustrate proven techniques of effective songcraft for all levels of songwriter.
By attending the Camp you’ll:
- immerse yourself in your writing without the distractions of everyday life
- have a great time in beautiful surroundings with like-minded people
- increase the quantity and the quality of songs you write at the Camp and afterwards
- increase your confidence as a songwriter
- improve your collaboration skills, songwriter connections and co-writing network
- be inspired to write at least one or two songs each day
- get encouragement and valuable feedback on your current repertoire
- optionally perform in the Grade II listed Templeton Room
- learn and practise essential songwriting ‘tools‘ and ‘rules‘ (and work out when you can break them)
- receive optional individual mentoring from experienced teachers
- have access to practice rooms with pianos
- have access to a personal DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) during the Camp
- learn the fundamental techniques of home AND producer-led studio recording
- receive a gear guide for home recording (PC or Mac)
- receive recordings of songs written on the Camp
- have a magical fully-catered, single room songwriting experience at a superb price
The camp will provide you with an opportunity to take a song to the next level in terms of arrangement, recording and production.
The extensive studio recording and practice-room facilities of a well-resourced music school will be available to you during the camp. We will be using music production software (Logic Pro X and Pro Tools) to develop songs further whilst recording small group collaborative tracks in a professional studio. Individual computer workstations will also be available for each attendee throughout the week. The production principles taught will be applicable to all software and computer platforms.
There will also be plenty of opportunity to play your own songs in our evening on-site optional but strongly recommended Song Showcases in the beautiful Grade II listed Templeton Room, and to receive constructive feedback as well as individual mentoring throughout the week.
The school is set in beautiful Box Hill, North Downs in Surrey with plenty of scope for outdoor writing, walks and visits to local country pubs.
Single-room accommodation is available in the nearby Juniper Hall and includes catered meals (including all dietary preferences) from Monday midday through Friday lunchtime.
The camp is limited to 18 attendees. The nearest station is Dorking and a transfer bus will be available on the Monday morning at 10:30 am and Friday afternoon at 3:30 pm.
The standard price is £629. However, you can take advantage of the all-inclusive 10% discounted price of only £559.
If you are a musician whose circumstances mean you are unable to afford the total cost you may be available for a partial bursary – apply to enquire.
Testimonials from the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Summer Camps
“The event was great for all levels and for me it was the perfect challenge. The vibe was fun and very supportive, Murray and Jonathan worked hard to facilitate a quality retreat & I hope to join for another in the near future. Thanks so much for a wonderful experience!”
“It was great! I wrote or co-wrote 4 songs in a week, which is so satisfying. Great structure and support to make some beautiful music.”
“The Summer Camp is a golden opportunity! A rare occasion where a group of like-minded individuals come together to inspire, encourage and create music and push each other outside the comfort-zone where the magic happens.”
“I thoroughly enjoyed the songwriting camp and this experience has been, and will remain, the highlight of my year! “
“I have learned not only about music and songwriting but also about myself and what I can achieve.”
“Very welcoming and positive environment, lovely location, brilliant for long walks. I’ve got a lot out of this week.”
“Enjoyable open mics, easy-going, friendly atmosphere. Useful individual feedback.”
“Lovely setting, great feel and atmosphere created and week skilfully managed by giving space to develop creative projects. Presentations all useful. I really enjoyed the week.”
“I got out of it exactly what I wanted and really enjoyed it.“
“‘I found the songwriting instruction sessions particularly useful. ‘Very useful advice and exercises”
“The retreat was a great place to collaborate and meet like-minded people. It has since given me the momentum and new tools that I needed to get me songwriting more regularly and in a more structured way”
Murray Webster has over 40 years experience as a multi-genre songwriter, having performed at some of the most prestigious music venues including The Astoria, The Hammersmith Palais, The Forum, The WAG Club, The Mint (LA) and Douglas Corner Cafe (Nashville). Plus Radio and TV appearances on the Gilles Peterson and Gary Crowley shows and Channel 4 documentaries on The Soho Jazz Festival supporting Courtney Pine. He has recorded and filmed with producer Marius de Vries (Madonna, Bjork, John Legend, David Bowie etc.).
He has taught and facilitated London Songwriters workshops for the last ten years, including fifteen highly successful Countryside Songwriting Retreats. He has a Masters Degree in Songwriting, a PTLLS teaching qualification as a Community Music Leader and has regularly mentored young people in music skills for NCS – The Challenge.
His self-produced tracks feature on CD-released albums commemorating the Shakespeare 400 centenary as well as World Cup and Christmas compilations, being part of a project series featured in The Guinness Book Of Records, as well as single and album releases on CBS Records. He also has self-released tracks on all digital platforms.
Jonathan Rayner is an experienced music educator with over 30 years teaching experience. He has set up recording studios in three institutions and currently teaches music and music technology within Box Hill School, where he is Assistant Director of Music. He is the lead writer and creative force behind a set of Music Education Resources published by Faber Music entitled ‘The Music Factory‘. As a songwriter he has written, produced and released a number of albums with a folk, indie and bluesy flavour.
Terms and Conditions